Tuesday, July 21, 2009

La Cultura and Tattoos...


What is it about the latino cultura that makes us want to go out and put ink our bodies? Well, I've thought about that a lot lately and after hosting a tattoo party at our casa, I understand a little more why we do it...


This is me with my new Jesus in the cross tattoo. I chose this because I love Jesus and I'm not afraid to say or show that. My heart belongs to Jesus, Rob, and my sons Randy and Devin. This is not quite finished, still going to add my favorite book/chapter of the bible~Isaiah 53 down the side of the cross and maybe some flames around the top part of the cross.



This is Besina's Rose~She is getting married next month and had tatted some intials when she was much younger, mira no more reminders of the past just a beautiful rosa and a wonderful fiance!

Cousin Tone like skulls and he's old school! Our tattoo artist and good friend Brian drew this design freehand.
Tres Primas! Mona is my baby cousin and Isaias is married to my cousin Ray. There just wasn't enough time for everyone to get their ink! Isaias is going to get a beautiful Dia de los Muertos lady on her upper shoulder blade soon!

Cousin Cardo getting his first tat, he chose the "Smile now, Cry later" theater masks. I told him he should fit in with all the other vato loco gangstas!
I believe if you are going ink up your body you should really put a lot of thought into your design and where you're going to put it. Rob and I have day jobs in a professional atmosphere and we put our tattoos in places that don't holler "Look at me"! Some get them to cover up mistakes from the past, and still some get them just because they want to and don't care where they put them. Remember folks, this is forever! Be tasteful, create something beautiful and then yeah go for it if that's what you really want to do. Our tattoo artist and friend is Brian Ulibarri and you can check out more of his work here. Brian is also a very talented artist as well as a member with us at Chicano Humanities and Arts Council gallery here in Denver.









2 comments:

Robin Norgren, M.A, R-YT, Spiritual Director said...

Hi there,

Just wanted to check out your blog b.c of the kind words you left on mine! The tattoo is incredible and I plan on reading Isaiah 53-thanks for journeying with me in this crazy world-Robin

QBN_MEX_SALVIgirl said...

hey my names jessica...I think your tatoo is great! but to be honest i think adding the flames would be too much...ur tat is beautiful as is...
mucho amor...
jessica