Monday, June 8, 2009

Why we do what we Do...

We've been getting some questions about why we do what we do, so here is the condensed version...
Starting with a chunk of wood and turning it into something sacred and symbolic is what Santero art is all about. Creating something iconic into religious imagery is what drives Rob to keep carving! From retablos to bultos to crosses and paintings this is why he does it, to produce art work in a non-dualistic mindset and allow the creator to infect those that are searching for their identity and purpose, even when they appear to have no soul. Rob is originally from Memphis, TN and moved here to Denver and immediately fell in love with the rich Hispanic culture that surrounded him at work and in friendships.


For me it's almost always about a memory...I spent so much time outdoors always looking or maybe hunting for little things, big things (they don't call me the mud pie queen or bug aficionado for nothing) colorful things, but the place I have the happiest memories is of our little town in New Mexico called San Juan. My grandpa was an only child and would take me (his oldest grandchild) walking to our ranch and along the Pecos River telling me the stories of his youth. And these storytelling walks I have treasured in my heart. So the story behind the bracelet is always the inspiration to create it, pretty simple I know, but lots of meaning to me and hopefully to the person that falls in love with a piece.
So now here we are a married couple of artists working in two different mediums, working on the goal of moving to New Mexico soon to open our own bed & breakfast/gallery. Our work is very popular there as this is where Santero work started! We are members of the Northern New Mexico Fine Arts & Crafts guild, and Rob has pieces in the Santuario de Chimayo gallery. I have customers who love big chunky jewelry and I continue to make it for them. We have our little shops on Etsy and 1000Markets but it it is just a small collection as most of our pieces are in galleries. Hope this answers alot of the why do you do what you do questions.

6 comments:

sharon said...

I think you do what you do soooo well, and that in itself shows the love and dedication you both put into your pieces, and that enables you to make them sooo well.

sharon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Doreen said...

How fortunate you two are to have found each other!

Tammy and Rob said...

Aah, thanks Sharon and Doreen! We so appreciate you both stopping by with your encouragement and nice comments, it is so nice to have other artists in which we can relate too!
Besos!!!

Sharon said...

What wonderful memories of your grandfathr...is his ranch still in the family? I hope so. Lovely art and story!

Tammy and Rob said...

The ranch still belongs to all of us, he has 8 children left out of 10, 16 grandchildren and I lost count of all the great-grandchildren, lol!