Monday, June 1, 2009

San Pascual, St. Francis and San Martin de Porres

I am just fascinated with all these new pieces Rob has created. Two of them are bultos and one a bultablo, hee hee, 1/2 retablo and 1/2 bulto. I will be listing these in the Etsy and 1000Markets shops tonight, but thought I'd show them off here too! The bultablo is of San Pascual, patron saint of cooks and kitchens, you can find him in just about every kitchen in New Mexico! The bultos are of St. Francis, patron saint of animals and ecology. One of the questions we get often is "Why is he holding a skull?", well the skull represents life hereafter and many Spanish colonial art pieces will have a skull somewhere on the piece, we are not trying to be morbid, lol. Last up is San Martin de Porres, patron saint of mixed races, innkeepers and public health. His heart was always with the poor, showing endless mercy and compassion. He was a Dominican brother who was born to a
Spanish nobleman and a young black former slave. San Martin was the first biracial man canonized into sainthood. Enjoy...and Rob would love to hear any comments you all might have :)

4 comments:

SummersStudio said...

Ah, these are wonderful. I must admit a particular fondness for 'St Frank' as we call him in our house. But I'm not sure I've seen him with a skull before. Love that!

sharon said...

Tammy, these are all sooo beautiful I can't believe it! I'm so glad you told us the meaning, I love to learn the meanings and representations, they mean so much....and Rob translates that so beautifully in his art. Truly outrageously beautiful!!

Tammy and Rob said...

Aah, thanks! I'm passing on comments to Rob and he thanks you both too! He really does try to bring the story to life with his art, that's what I so enjoy when he is out in his workshop carving, watching it all come to be!

Anonymous said...

Yes, thanks for sharing the meaning. I love San Martin de Porres. I remember my mom talking about him when I was young.